07 March 2007

Learning multiple languages at one time

Learning and/or maintaining more than one language at a time is very difficult. Of course, focusing on one language for awhile would likely make for speedier learning, but I can never choose just one. I love them all too much. I can barely limit myself to just the three main languages I am currently focused on (Japanese, Spanish, and Italian).

One thing that has helped me to pick up daily words in all three languages has been translating my daily notes into all three.

If I write myself a little note, a small paragraph about something going on in my day, or any other small daily writing, I will try to write it in one of the three languages first, and then rewrite it in the other two.

This helps to compare the different thought processes in the languages, to compare vocabulary, and to reinforce imagery between the languages.

No comments: